Donor surveys are the easiest way to get a better understanding of who your donors are, what they are thinking about your organization, and how they feel about your efforts. Understanding your donors will allow you to communicate better, develop targeted strategies to engage them further, and ultimately result in more long-lasting and sustainable donor relationships. We’ve put together a list of donor survey questions to help you create your questionnaire.
Before creating your questionnaire, ask yourself:
- What is the goal of this survey?
- How will I use the information I collect?
Sample Donor Survey Questions
- How did you first learn about us?
- Is there a reason you chose to support our mission with a donation?
- To what extent do you feel your donation/s make/s an impact?
- What program of ours are you most passionate about?
- What did you like most about our event/campaign?
- What would you like to see different with our next event/campaign?
- Have you engaged with our digital or print content?
- How do you engage with our organization (email, social media, events, etc..)?
- How do you like to be contacted?
- What is your perception of who we are as an organization?
- Have you shared your support of our organization with anyone in your network?
- What other causes do you support?
- Are there any questions you would like to ask us about our organization?
- Is there anything you would like to see us do more or less of?
Remember, you are asking your donors to take time out of their day to provide you information. Be mindful of how long the questionnaire will take by providing choices when possible and only asking questions that will inform future decisions. Lastly, ensure you follow up after the survey to begin a more in-depth conversation, say thank you, and share how the survey has influenced your work!