Many nonprofits recruit and research their board members but too often we see nonprofits inviting in new board members without interviewing them. Yes, it is a volunteer role, but it is a volunteer role with a lot of power and impact within your organization. With that much power and impact, it is imperative that you take the time to interview potential board members.
Below you will find a list of questions to help you better get to know the prospective board members and truly discover if they are a good fit for your organization.
- Why are you passionate about our mission?
- Do you have a personal connection to our mission?
- What program that we run are you most excited about?
- How do you plan to further the organization’s mission?
- Where do you see yourself being of support to the organization?
- How much do time can you dedicate to the board member role?
- What qualities do you think make exceptional board members?
- What community affiliations do you have?
- How are you interested in supporting the organization as a board member?
- What can you contribute to the organization? Connections? Resources? Time?
- Do you have fundraising experience?
- How comfortable do you feel with fundraising within your network?
- What motivates you?
- What do you expect from the organization?
Choosing the right board members can impact every aspect of your organization so be sure to interview your potential board members and ask the tough questions! Take their answers to heart and find the board members that will help move your organization forward.